Recognized Scientist in the Industry Specializing in Spectroscopy
Put the power of verifiable science on your side with an experienced spectroscopy expert working at your disposal.
WILLIAM T. WELCH:
Scientist: Analytical Applications, Petroleum Refining
A Seasoned Analytical Applications Scientist with over 20 years of experience in the petroleum, chemical, and pharmaceutical industries who specializes in process analytics and laboratory analyses. Excel in analytical method development using chemometric models, multivariate quantitative analysis, and Near Infrared (NIR), Mid Infrared (MIR), and other spectroscopic instruments. Skilled at building and sustaining internal/external relationships that achieve results. Highly motivated leader passionate about maximizing productivity, improving quality, and generating innovative new products and technologies.
Analytical Methods Development | Process Analytics | Spectroscopic Means of Analyses | Project Management | Laboratory Notebook Documentation | Calibration Maintenance | Strategic Planning | Feasibility Studies | Training & Development | Quality Control | Data & Cost Analysis | Instrument Means of Analyses | Chemometric Modeling | Wet Chemistry Means of Analyses | Staff Supervision | Client Relationships | Statistical Quality Assurance & Control Charting
Analytical Chemistry Applications Scientist & Founder– Spectro-Intelligence, Ashland, Kentucky | 2004 to Present
Identify and present solutions for client analytical problems in several industries, developing methods to determine compliance and chemical and physical properties using modern instrumental means of analyses. Conduct feasibility studies to determine whether products and/or processes can be controlled by spectroscopic means of analysis. Collaborate with manufacturers to sell instruments.
Designed an industrial analytical standard test method for determination of jet fuel properties using infrared multivariate quantitative analytical analysis. Saved $40,000 for each of 2 refineries by improving on-line NIR gasoline determination, training staff in calibration maintenance, and writing an SOP for personnel. Performed critical analytical analyses of petroleum wax refinery design and construction, achieving results that indicated a profitable endeavor.
Research Associate & Group Leader –Marathon Ashland Petroleum, Catlettsburg, Kentucky | 1982 to 2004
Directed activity of 11 staff in 4 laboratories that provided new analytical technology development. Performed knock engine, instrumental, spectroscopic, and HPLC analyses. Conducted analytical testing using instrumental means of analysis, as well as personnel evaluation and training.
- Attained 13 patents from the US Patent and Trademark Office, resulting in $3.8 million in royalties.
- Discovered source of sulfur contamination and developed a cleanup process saving $8.8 million in product.
- Purchased 4 on-line NIR instruments that resulted in $3.2 million in savings annually.
- Evaluated the use of Raman Spectroscopy to determine gasoline properties, lead to 4 patents.
- Improved process control and decreased personnel analyses and turnaround time through NIR implementation.
- Earned 2 CEO Awards.
Laboratory Supervisor– Ashland Petroleum, Catlettsburg, Kentucky | 1982 to 1985
Managed more than 40 testers in a refinery quality control laboratory for a refinery that processes 240,000 barrels of crude oil daily. Performed laboratory audits, instrument calibrations, and processing of unit samples.
- Implemented and maintained good laboratory practices (GLP).
- Trained employees in ASTM petroleum and petrochemical test methods.
- Wrote operating manual that ensured all samples were representative, improve process control significantly.
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectra (GC/MS)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Near Infrared Spectroscopy (NIR)
- Super Fluid Chromatography (SFC)
- Supervision & Management
- American Society for Testing & Materials International (ASTM)
- Chair, Absorption Spectroscopy Section
- Vice Chair, Subcommittee on Hydrocarbon Analysis
- Honored with 2 Awards in Recognition of Organizational Leadership
- American Chemical Society
- Society for Applied Spectroscopy
- ACS, ASTM, UOP, NF, & USP Test Methods, Chemometric Software programs, Elemental Analyzers, TGA, UV, NIR, FTIR, NMR, Raman, GC, GPC, HPLC, IC, TLC, Titrations, Lab